We all know that it takes hard work to run a successful freelance business. Here are some tips to help you be successful.
Treat your business like a business
- Set regular hours and make sure that you put in the work.
- Keep your business finances separate from personal finances.
- Invest in your business (and yourself!) to continue growing professionally and personally.
- Find a way to organize all of your paperwork so that you can find what you need, whenever you need it. Whether your solution is analog or digital, or both, find something that works for you and stick with it.
- Organize your time so that you can finish all of your tasks on time. Same with paperwork, find a solution that works for you and make it a regular part of your daily regimen.
Do your best work every time
- Under promise and over deliver.
- Keep customer service your number one priority.
Keep detailed records
- Know your numbers. Understand how to read your balance sheet and profit/loss statement.
- Save those receipts! Paper or digital, you’ll need them at tax time.
- Save all emails for a project. You can archive them later but having a record of all communication can be invaluable.